Dawn Ginsbergh's Revenge (Was: Quote: I shall lose no time in reading it: antedating (1871) (Gladstone 1897) (Disraeli 1898)

Sun May 16 23:15:41 UTC 2010

Thanks to George Thompson for the information about the book for sale
in New York. And thanks to Larry Horn, Vic Steinbok, and Fred Shapiro.

In one of Perelman's books he gives a description of the first edition
of "Dawn Ginsbergh's Revenge". Perelman says that "dust jacket bore a
blurb from ... Groucho Marx." The blurb is the one we are discussing.
This conclusion is based on the excerpt below which may be of interest
because it appears to come directly from Perelman, and it provides
additional physical details concerning the first edition.

Cite: 2000, The Last Laugh: The Final Word from the First Name in
Satire by S. J. Perelman, Page number unknown, Lyons Press. (Google
Books snippet view only)(not verified on paper)

About the end of 1928, my work was appearing in some profusion, and
Horace Liveright, whose daring as a publisher verged on audacity,
brought out a collection of it called Dawn Ginsbergh's Revenge. It was
a curious little volume, bound in the horripilating green plush called
"flock" used to upholster railroad chairs, and as far as one could
tell, it had only two distinctive aspects.

The title page omitted any mention whatever of an author — I
presumably was so overawed at the permanence I was achieving that I
neglected to check this detail — and the dust jacket bore a blurb
from, coincidentally, Groucho Marx. It read: "From the moment I picked
up your book until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Some
day I intend reading it. To say, therefore, that I had set the Thames
on fire by that fateful evening in 1931 would be hardly accurate.

(Off topic) Beinecke is a very beautiful building on the inside. The
outside looks like a blockhouse designed to survive near ground zero.
Sorry to hear that the volume in the Beinecke is missing.

Garson