eyeball witness

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 20 19:27:23 UTC 2010

HDAS has an ex. of _eyeball witness_ from 1971 under _eyeball_, adj.  GB
shows that the term was used in Texas as early as 1961, and notably in the
report of the Warren Commission.   HDAS has _eyeball report_ from 1959.

I doubt that there is any necessary semantic distinction between _eyeball
witness_ and _eyewitness_, though the former is rhetorically marked and
therefore more emphatic. Thus Dan's interpretation.

JL