"Pay one's dues": interdating

Fri May 21 02:01:04 UTC 2010

There is a 1950 Rhythm & Blues record release that uses the title "You
Got To Pay Those Dues", but a quick search does not reveal the lyrics.
Google Books is unsurprisingly filled with older literal uses of
"paying your dues", e.g., people paying union dues and club dues etc,
and the song lyrics may also be non-figurative. But it might be an
earlier interdate for the figurative use.

The B side "Mercenary Papa" is available on YouTube and you can hear
the lyrics for that song. But I cannot find the A side.

Cite: 1950 April 1, Billboard magazine (The Billboard), Advance Rhythm
& Blues Record Releases, Page 113, Nielsen Business Media, Inc.

You Got To Pay Those Dues
  C. Williams Ork (Mercenary Papa) Mer 8168

http://books.google.com/books?id=j_UDAAAAMBAJ&q=%22got+to+pay%22#v=snippet&

The Discogs website says:

A You Got To Pay Those Dues       2:55
 Written-By - Williams* , Swain* , Edmundson*

Cootie Williams And His Orchestra - You Got To Pay Those Dues / Mercenary Papa
Label: Mercury Catalog#: 8168 Format: Vinyl, 10", 78 RPM, Single
Country: US Released: 1949 Genre: Blues Style: Vocal
http://www.discogs.com/

I unfortunately do not have access to HDAS at this moment so I cannot
read the relevant entry.

OED (1989) due, n.
 c. fig. (pl.). Responsibilities or obligations; esp. in phr. to pay
one's dues, to fulfil obligations, undergo hardships, or gain
experience. U.S. slang.

1943 ‘S. G. WOLSEY’ Call House Madam xiv. 403 She was mixed up later
in one of the rottenest shooting messes ever staged in Hollywood, but
she got away with her end of it and never paid her dues.  1961  N.
HENTOFF  Jazz Life (1962) ii. 29 ‘Paying dues’ is the jazz musician's
term for the years of learning and searching for an individual sound
and style while the pay is small and irregular.