"put the 'Kibosh on 'em" (antedating, 1834)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 21 05:31:49 UTC 2010

"C" is always pronounced [k] in Irish. In the Munster dialect of my
Irish prof, _cie báis_ is pronounced like unto [kI(E/@) bO:S].
However, I don't accept Colum's etymology, there being no way to get
_cie_ pronounced as [kaj] in any Irish dialect, even though "bawsh"
certainly works for the second word. OTOH, the fact that *I* pronounce
the word as ['kaj,bash] doesn't mean that the entire, English-speaking
does. Though, of course, it ought to. ;-)

-Wilson

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "put the 'Kibosh on 'em" (antedating, 1834)
>
> At 5/20/2010 09:12 PM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:
>>
>>Forms such as "vich" for "which" or "vork" for "work" are a feature
>>of Cockney speech. They are not necessarily eastern European/German.
>
> But what about "kibosh"?  The OED asserts "(It has been stated to be
> Yiddish or Anglo-Hebraic: see N. & Q. 9th ser. VII. 10.)"
>
> And Michael Quinion will point us to
> http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/kibosh.htm and Leo Rosten.
>
> Joel

-Wilson