"put the 'Kibosh on 'em" (antedating, 1834)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 21 05:12:34 UTC 2010

These forms are also features of other non-standard BrE dialects. The
fact that we have _Smith_ and not _Smif_ opens the possibility that
the eye-dialect is not necessarily meant to represent Cockney.

-Wilson

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at mst.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at MST.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "put the 'Kibosh on 'em" (antedating, 1834)
>
> =20
> Forms such as "vich" for "which" or "vork" for "work" are a feature of =
> Cockney speech. They are not necessarily eastern European/German.
> =20
> Gerald Cohen
>
> ________________________________
>
>  Original message from Sam Clements, Thu 5/20/2010 8:04 PM
>
> <snip>. =20
> Notice the same pattern of an eastern European/German dialect being =
> used.  "which=3Dvich." and
> so on and so on.
>
> Sam Clements
>
> =20