Vietnam

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 23 15:51:23 UTC 2010

At 11:12 AM -0400 5/23/10, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>I don't understand. Who keeps track of spitting incidents at airports?? If
>no one, does that mean they must not occur, since they are impossible to
>verify decades later?
>
>DanG

IIRC, Lembcke claims to have tried to track down such reports by
talking to many veterans and was unable to confirm any.  It is, of
course, difficult to prove such a negative, but it would interesting
to see if anyone complained after the book was published that he was
ignoring any actual instances that took place.  In some cases Lembcke
had heard about specific incidents involving actual soldiers at
actual airports, but they all evaporated on closer investigation, and
none were ever photographed, which is a bit puzzling in itself if
they were as frequent as claimed at the time.  Of course Lembcke had
his own agenda, but that doesn't mean he wasn't right.  (Presumably,
there could also be armies of alligators in the sewers in NYC that
grew from tiny ones flushed down toilets, or an epidemic of people
who wake up in their hotel bathtubs missing one kidney, and we just
haven't been looking in the right sewers and hotel bathrooms.)

LH