Vietnam

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 23 16:03:17 UTC 2010

At 11:12 AM -0400 5/23/10, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>I don't understand. Who keeps track of spitting incidents at airports?? If
>no one, does that mean they must not occur, since they are impossible to
>verify decades later?
>
>DanG
>
>On May 22, 2010 8:39 PM, "Laurence Horn" <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

>...I found the [Lembcke] book useful when I was
>researching my "Spitten Image" paper (American Speech, 79.1, 2004)
>and it is cited therein (in the section called "Great Expectorations:
>Humiliation, Revenge, and the Salivation Army)...

I just looked to see what Lembcke was up to more recently, and found
this transcript from a 2007 NPR exchange updating the debate to the
Iraq war: http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2007/02/02/04

Note the header of the transcript, "Great Expectorations".  Obviously
great minds with but a single bad pun.

LH