Alleged Washington Post neologism contest results

Thu May 27 15:57:17 UTC 2010

Here are some results of a quick search for related content: A post
about neologisms based on misspelled words appears in the ADS-L
archive in 1999. In 1998 the topic was discussed on Usenet. Individual
words on the list are employed with humorous intent in 1997 and 1993
on Usenet.

Subject: The Washington Post's Style Invitational
From:    James Smith
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:00:51 -0700
(Body of message omitted)

Multiple Usenet newsgroups in 1998 contain lists with differing
subsets and supersets of the neologisms under investigation. The
Washington Post is not mentioned. The Mensa Invitational is not
mentioned. See the example from 1998 March 3 further below.

Individual isolated words appear in earlier posts. Here is an example
from 1997 that contains the term cashtrate: