"Mighty Lak A Rose"

Paul paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Sun May 30 20:11:47 UTC 2010

Paul Johnson

I'\'m with Wilson on this, born in '35 in Chicago this song has always
been there for me. I Had the feeling it would have been in some 30s/40's
musical but much to my surprise it was a hit in 1903 and last big hit
was 1916 with Geraldine Farrar, an opera singer who had appeared with
Caruso; her recording by the way was accompanied by Fritz Kreisier!

On 5/30/2010 2:24 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
> Whoa! That is surprising! My memory is that it was a national hit or,
> at least, nationally popular. I heard recordings of it by various
> singers, black and white, when I was a child living in Saint Louis. As
> a consequence, I've never connected the song with the *real* South or
> even with East Texas, but, rather, with some Tin Pan Alley hack
> looking for an easy buck.
>
> Youkneverknow.
>
> -Wilson
>
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Bill Palmer<w_a_palmer at bellsouth.net>  wrote:

>> Sender:       American Dialect Society<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Bill Palmer<w_a_palmer at BELLSOUTH.NET>
>> Subject:      Re: "Mighty Lak A Rose"
>>
>> Wilson, my late mother-in-law (b. 1908, Moultrie GA) and now you, are the
>> only ones I've ever known to sing/recite that little verse.
>>
>> I wonder if anyoneoutside the southern US is familiar w/ it.
>>
>> Bill P

It's like trying to slip a sunrise past a rooster