"Mighty Lak A Rose"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 31 00:27:37 UTC 2010

I believe I heard it sung by Paul Robeson
(possibly in live concert; my memory of childhood
events has faded).  It appears to be available by
Robeson on 4 or 5 CDs.  See
http://www.cpsr.cs.uchicago.edu/robeson/links/recordings.html

Joel

At 5/30/2010 04:11 PM, Paul wrote:
>Paul Johnson
>
>I'\'m with Wilson on this, born in '35 in Chicago this song has always
>been there for me. I Had the feeling it would have been in some 30s/40's
>musical but much to my surprise it was a hit in 1903 and last big hit
>was 1916 with Geraldine Farrar, an opera singer who had appeared with
>Caruso; her recording by the way was accompanied by Fritz Kreisier!

Wikipedia says:
The tune became a Tin Pan Alley hit, and it was a
perennial of traditional pop music for generations.[1]

Deanna Durbin sang it as a lullaby in the 1943
feature film The Amazing Mrs. Holliday.[2] Other
notable recordings include those by Lillian
Nordica, Geraldine Farrar, Vincent Lopez, Paul
Robeson, Art Tatum, Wilbur DeParis, Frank
Sinatra, Nina Simone, and Roger Whittaker.[3]