ogreeches

Fri Nov 5 17:06:23 UTC 2010

"Do any of my readers as they make of eat the soup of sweet corn usually called "ogreeches" ever consider the origin of the word?  It is not English or Dutch or French.  But undoubtedly both the name and the dish itself were from the Indians.  We have not found any one outside of Ulster County who knows what ogreeches means."

Ralph Lefevre, History of New Paltz, New York, and Its Old Families. . . .  Albany, N. Y.: Fort Orange Pr, 1903., p. 190.

I've checked DARE in the college library here, and do not see this word.

GAT

George A. Thompson