"cut", v., sense 33

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 9 02:53:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> Don't we all think that the OED should include as one of its
> quotations for "cut", v., sense 33, the following?
>
> 'Certainly not,' the Red Queen said, very decidedly: 'it isn't etiquette
> to_ cut_ any one you've been introduced to.

Well, FWIW, I do. _Cut_, in the sense, "blow someone off, shine
someone on, [give someone the] cold(-)shoulder, ig[nore] someone,"
etc. has been around for dekkids. Joel's cite is clear evidence of
that.

BTW, I'm almost as surprised that this particular sense of _cut_ goes
back at least as far as Lewis Carroll as I was to discover the same
WRT the phrase, _knock-down argument_.

--
-Wilson
–––