New Spelling System in Spanish

Federico Escobar federicoescobarcordoba at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 11 14:30:34 UTC 2010

Wilson, the comment you quoted was quite pertinent, but it turns out that
Microsoft's spell-check in Spanish is very accommodating. It is not wedded
to any particular system, so it tends to have both what the Academy
recommends and what other institutions (and tradition) suggest.

Paul, there was a discussion on this list about the possibilities of
reforming English spelling, sparked precisely because of spelling bees, a
few months ago. It starts here:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1006A&L=ADS-L&D=0&P=57653

A language as decentralized as English (or at least as multipolar) will have
a hard time accepting a single spelling system. The further obstacles you
mentioned, Paul, are also formidable. If my life can be spared by sharing a
small anecdote, someone I know says that the ultimate proof that English
phonetics is mad comes in three simple words: bomb, comb, tomb. Historical
and linguistic reasons notwithstanding, this person argues it's madness for
the -omb part in these four-letter words to have such radically different
sounds. (Wait till this persons finds out about through, enough, and bough).

I agree with Michael that Spanish has a long history of reform, but it's
much more difficult to engage in those massive reforms now, especially since
the headquarters for reform, Spain, now accounts for just a small fraction
of Spanish speakers worldwide. In spite of the demographics, a significant
reform is under way, and people will more readily accept it than if, say,
the OED were to propose a new spelling system for 21st-century English. The
silent h is, in fact, one of Spanish’s small traps, and some communities,
despite admonitions coming from the Academy, have come to differentiate "b"
and "v." There's a further trap, when you’re outside non-Anadalusian Spain,
and it is the difference between s, z, and in some cases c.

FWIW, I do find ADS discussions very stimulating and fascinating, especially
when new words and new meanings are brought up.

F.