"I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 17 19:59:34 UTC 2010

The WWN quote is quite a find, Garson. It's like the beginning of a meme.

I recall that when the Robert Young commercials appeared, there was some
criticism (probably in the N.Y. Times or TV Guide) about the strategy.
While Young was never identified as a TV doctor, and didn'twear a white
coat, the tactic was taken to be exactly as you say:  the suckers would
unconsciously accept the ad as an endorsement of Sanka by America's leading
fictitious medical man. And you don't get more authoritative than that!

I doubt that, in the ads, Young ever said, "I'm not really a doctor," or
anything remotely like it.

JL