"I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 17 20:14:59 UTC 2010

Although I was not around in the seventies to see the commercials by
Robert Young (location, not age), I do wonder if this would have been
a comment actually used in an ad. It stands to reason that it would be
jokes and criticism of the campaign that would include the phrase "I'm
not a doctor, but I play one on TV"--sounds like something for Police
Squad! or Kentucky Fried Movie humor. I'll check KFM later, along with
Amazon Women on the Moon. Given the topic of the parody in these two,
it sounds like an ideal environment for precisely this kind of humor.
Another source to check would be SNL, as its early period coincides
precisely with early Young ad campaigns. This is a resource someone
else will have to review--I have KFM and AWM on disk, but not SNL.

VS-)