"Authentic pronunciation"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 3 17:22:05 UTC 2010

Another element that generally muddies such discussions (though not here) is
the assumption that speakers with the most distinguishable dialect
characteristics are the most representative of their entire area.  (It
depends what you mean by "representative.")

One thinks, for example, of Leo Gorcey, Slim Pickens, (from California, but
never mind that), and Jane Curtin (from Massachusetts, but never mind that)
as Mrs. Loopner.

BTW, while watching a Bowery Boys movie the other day, I was impressed by
the likelihood that Mel Blanc's voicings of Bugs Bunny and Sylvester the Cat
were inspired by the voices of Leo Gorcey and Huntz Hall, respectively.

JL