antedating boondock (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Oct 6 13:10:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Paul Frank <paulfrank at post.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I have no idea if GB has misdated these examples:
>
> "Sam Williams bought this horse from a Haitian who lived so far back
> in the bundocks that the horse was not at home in the great open
> spaces of the Pan-Am field. " (The Leatherneck: Volume 15, Leatherneck
> Association - 1932,
> http://books.google.ch/books?id=x6bvAAAAMAAJ&q=%22in+the+bundocks%22&dq=%22in+the+bundocks%22&hl=en&ei=aFSrTPSSCJS7jAea9IXbBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAQ).
>
> And here is one from 1929, for all I know misdated:
>
> <http://books.google.ch/books?id=zXdLAAAAMAAJ&q=%22in+the+bundocks%22&dq=%22in+the+bundocks%22&hl=en&ei=aFSrTPSSCJS7jAea9IXbBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CD8Q6AEwBQ>

Also with that spelling:

http://books.google.com/books?id=fTcgAQAAIAAJ&q=bundocks
_Hospital Corps Quarterly_ (US Navy Dept of Medicine and Surgery),
Jan. 1926, p. 252 (?)
The corresponding districts known in other countries as the Provinces,
the sticks, and the bundocks, are known to foreigners in Haiti as the
"hills."

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer