Anglicization

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 9 18:01:42 UTC 2010

Nobody on the thread has mentioned the influence from the immortal song...

Wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen
Friendly old girl of a town
'Neath her tavern light
On this merry night
Let us clink and drink one down
To wonderful, wonderful Copenhagen
Salty old queen of the sea

(etc.)

from the movie Hans Christian Andersen, which certainly wouldn't get
it wrong (although it is a bit puzzling that the title "Beautiful
Beautiful Copenhagen" doesn't appear in the song). As you can check
at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEwdroXuL8A.
The name of the friendly old girl of a town appears over a dozen
times in the song, each time as [kop at nhag@n]-with-an-"ah" (although
it doesn't need to for the sake of rhyme, since there's no line
ending with "noggin", floggin'", or "toboggan" in the song).

LH