Anglicization

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 9 15:59:22 UTC 2010

  A few years ago--not quite in Wilson's childhood--a French-speaking
friend had an 18yo niece visiting from Paris (with another friend).
Somehow the conversation turned to actors and Richard Gere was
mentioned. The two French girls had a completely puzzled look, having
absolutely no idea who this person was. After going through several film
titles, one suddenly got the Eureka! and exclaimed, "Oh, [Rish'ahh
Zhehrh]!" (I am trying to get as close as possible without unicode and
IPA.) In fact, it was said almost like a single word, without any
audible word boundaries.

VS-)