Singing in a dialect and "Authentic pronunciation" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 10 13:46:33 UTC 2010

It must be pretty annoying, particularly since a cruder version of the same
principle resulted in the rise of the minstrel show, but the linguistic
silver lining is that it supports the idea that for many people the accent
is inextricable from the sound.

To white-boy me it isn't the imitation that bugs, it's the media gush. Is
the kid being praised for his singing or for his Frank-Gorshin-style mimicry
skills? And if I want to hear the songs of a fifty-year-old black bluesman,
why shouldn't I listen to one instead?  (The late Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown
would be a good choice.) They (or their heirs) need royalties too.

BTW, the choice of "fifty" rather than "seventy" or "eighty" suggests just
how "old"  the critic is.

JL