Singing in a dialect and "Authentic pronunciation" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 10 07:03:11 UTC 2010

The pure sonic power of good music can attract across many
boundaries--cultural, social, economic, racial. But many singers don't
realize how foolish sounding or even insulting they can be when attempting
to copy the voice of their musical heroes.

Personally, I like best those singers who when performing songs from other
musical traditions retain something of their own voice. I absolutely love
listening to Josh White's versions of "Barbara Allen" and "Foggy, Foggy
Dew". Even as much as I love to hear June Tabor or Kate Rusby sing songs
from the same tradition.

But Florence Henderson singing Hank Williams, uh.........
ouch.

Eric