"A Quaker hates a parrot"

Wed Oct 13 03:16:34 UTC 2010

The meaning of the parrot quote might be illuminated by examining the
other items that Quakers are supposed to hate in similar
constructions. Here is a quick sample. The dates are from Google Books
and I didn't check them carefully. The books might be reprints:

[1736]
Never was Poetry under so great an Oppression as now, as full of
Phanaticisms as Religion; where every one pretends to the Spirit of
Wit, sets up a Doctrine of his own, and hates a Poet worse than a
Quaker does a Priest.

[1807]
For she abhors this monster more than space,
More than a Quaker hates a golden lace,

[1826]
Psha! I hate dogs and guns worse than a quaker hates a drum

[1896]
I hate them as a Quaker hates gunpowder