Q: "travelling lady"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 15 19:58:31 UTC 2010

At 10/15/2010 01:31 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>John may be right, but my _Sprachgefuehl_ agrees with Joel's, namely that
>_travelling lady_ was a recognized compound and not merely equivalent to
>"lady who happened to be traveling with him."

The problems are:  All of about a dozen raw Google Books hits before
1800 are straightforward, with no hints of liaisons -- simply a woman
who did travel or had traveled.  (And it seems to be complimentary --
a travelling lady had knowledge of the world.)  Expanding the search
to later dates may be like finding the needle.  I was hoping someone
could point to another meaning, but so far no one has, including the
18th c. list participants.  I think I and Jon perhaps are too suspicious.

>If they were an item, cf. modern euphemistic use of "companion."

She was at least part of an item in the newspaper.  :-)

Joel