Q: "travelling lady"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 15 21:52:53 UTC 2010

At 1:17 PM -0400 10/15/10, Baker, John wrote:
>         The story is also reported in the London Daily Advertiser (Sept.
>25, 1736), where it says that the sheriff handed M'Cullogh "to a Carr,
>and was his Guard to the House call'd the Ware; from whence he sent him
>that Night, together with his travelling Lady (who had bravely stood all
>the Fires) and the rest of the Prisoners, under a strong Guard to his
>Majesty's Goal at Killmaisham."  This is from Access Newspaper Archives;
>the scan is not the best, so there may be an error somewhere (the
>spelling "Goal" is clear, though).
>
>         I at first thought that "travelling lady" would be a courtesan
>or adventuress, but I don't think there is any evidence that a
>travelling lady in the eighteenth century was anything other than a lady
>who travels, so I think this is simply a reference to the captain's wife
>or consort, likely the former.  It sounds like the lady was in the
>castle with the captain, if she bravely stood all the fires, so the
>travel may simply be to the Goal.

Well, there's the evidence from the eponymous Leonard Cohen song--

And why are you so quiet now
Standing there in the doorway?
You chose your journey long before
You came upon this highway.

Traveling lady, stay awhile
Until the night is over.
I'm just a station on your way
I know I'm not your lover.

I'm still puzzled by the "Goal" for "Gaol", though, especially since
the OED doesn't provide the former as a variant spelling of the
latter.  The Ballad of Reading Goal?

LH