passive "kowtowed" for "cowed"

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 21 14:05:24 UTC 2010

This morning on Andrew Sullivan's Daily Dish, I read the following:

Scott Morgan smacks the LA Times for being kowtowed by Holder's threat:
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/

That's the first time I recall hearing or reading "kowtow" use as a
passive.   Googling "kowtowed" produced three more examples out of the
first hundred hits.  It looks like "kowtowed" is moving in on "cowed."

Mika Brzezinski: Kowtowed Liberal
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=109x35414

I very much doubt the French are being kowtowed by terrorists
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1245965/French-u-turn-burka-ban-fears-terrorist-reprisals.html

you can see plenty of non-Muslims wandering about while they're kowtowed.
http://www.chilledtimes.com/archive/index.php?t-20691.html

It looks like "kowtowed" is moving in on "cowed."

Herb