File under: Say it ain't so

Federico Escobar federicoescobarcordoba at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 23 18:12:15 UTC 2010

"Unpick" also struck me as an interesting choice of words. It was probably
suggested --I'm speculating gratuitously-- by the ideas of precision and
care conveyed by "picking a lock"; since the alleged precision of Austen's
style was "undone" by the new study (which I'm surprised it took 200 years
to perform), then it was "unpicked."

I also noticed that the author seemed inexplicably surprised by the blots
and crossings. The explanation I supplied was that it was a way of opposing
the description of Austen's writing process offered by her brother:
that "everything
came finished from her pen". She probably emphasized the blots to unpick
people's idea of publisher-ready mansucripts flowing steadily and
unblotchedly from Austen's pen.

F.