File under: Say it ain't so

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 23 18:12:35 UTC 2010

This usage may be notable too:

"The manuscript evidence offers a different face for Jane Austen, one
smoothed out in the famous printed novels."

If "aspect" is meant (and it may be) the preposition "for" seems quite odd.
If something like "publicity image" is meant, I'm not sure that it's in the
OED, though surely it's frequent enough.

Cf. (evidently) 1972 in GB:  "Here, the Pulitzer Prize winner offers a new
face for the American dream."  And this, from 2004: "Donahue, the memo said,
offered 'a difficult face for MSNBC in a time of war. He seems to delight in
presenting guests who are antiwar, anti-Bush and skeptical of the
administration's motives.'"

Relevant GB exx. of "offered a * face for" are all quite recent.

JL