another "Negro" in quotes

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 25 11:34:25 UTC 2010

My recollection of NYC papers of the '50s and early '60s is similar. White
suspects were not identified racially.  Asian suspects, I believe, were
identified by original nationality if immigrants; their names were often
enough to identify them as "Oriental."

Which is another word that today is widely regarded as a slur. The only
explanation I've ever heard is not that it is "intrinsically demeaning"
(like "Negro," supposedly) but that it implies a Eurocentric view of the
world, East Asia being no more "oriental" or "occidental" than any other
place on the globe, there being no naturally occurring dividing line between
east and west.

However, "Eastern" and "Western" are 100% OK.

JL