buck -- more antedatings (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Oct 26 15:48:06 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The batting sense:

The Orange County Register - Monday, April 11, 1988 p d01 (Newsbank)
"If he hits a buck-ninety and keeps making plays like that, he's
valuable."

_THE SEATTLE TIMES_ - Tuesday, May 13, 1986 p F1 (Newsbank)
"I've never batted a buck -twenty (.120) in my life."

_Chicago Tribune_ - Tuesday, April 2, 1985 p 3 (Newsbank)
"I mean, I could go to Glens Falls and hit a buck (.100)."

_Syracuse Herald American_, 7/31/1983 p d-4 col 3 (Newspaperarchive)
"I had planned on spending the whole summer in Louisville, but I'm sure
if I was hitting a buck eighty (.180), they might not have traded
Hernandez and I wouldn't be in St. Louis."

_The Washington Post_ (DC) - Sunday, August 8, 1982 p M2 (Newsbank)
" "I'd signed a new contract," he said, "and was hitting a buck
-ninety." "

And I ran across this odd use of "interstate" while searching:

_The Miami Herald_  (FL) - Thursday, February 18, 1993 p 4ST (Newsbank)
"Interstate: When a batter's average falls between .100 and .200 (named
for highways such as I-75, I-95). Also, a buck and change ."

The time sense (one minute):

_Taunton Daily Gazette_ (MA) - Sunday, February 3, 2008 no page # listed
(Newsbank)
" With a buck and change left in the first half, Brady found David
Givens on the right side of the end zone to tie the game."

Patriot-News, The (Harrisburg, PA) - Saturday, October 31, 2009 p T08
(Newsbank)
"Redwood senior playmaker Jeff Davis caught 10 balls for 80 yards and
touchdown, ran for 28 yards for a clinching score with a buck and change
left and recovered a fumble in the end zone on defense."

Patriot-News, The (Harrisburg, PA) - Thursday, December 24, 2009 p T11
(Newsbank)
" Hershey got to within 3-1 in the third, but a pair of late goals by CV
-- including an empty-netter with a buck and change left -- kept the
defending champs at bay. "

Distance sense (100 yards):

Harrisonburg VA _Daily News Record_ 10/3/2005 p 19 col 2
(Newspaperarchive)
"Saturday, he was the designated runner on "read option" and cruised for
a buck sixty-three on only 17 carries."

Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA) - Tuesday, October 29, 2002 p F02
(Newsbank)
"Take a bow, Donovan McNabb.  He ran for a buck -eleven."

Behalf Of

----------------------

------

<laurence.horn at yale.edu>
> wrote:

> > >And here in an earlier thread (with many examples from athletes
> > >weighing or batting a buck seventy-five).
>
> The lone HDAS cite for the '100 lb.' sense is from The New York Times,
> 3/3/93, quoting John Starks (of the New York Knicks) on Kenny Anderson
> (of the New Jersey Nets): "Kenny weighs about a buck-60." (Anderson
> suffered a season-ending injury from a Starks foul.)

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/03/sports/pro-basketball-starks-is-fined-
but-