buck -- more antedatings (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 26 17:15:47 UTC 2010

Neat.  Those mid-1980s ones are certainly earlier than I remember the
extended "buck"s from.  And "the Interstate" for batting averages
between .100 and .200 is a new one on me.  (I'm used to such averages
being "south of the Mendoza line", in honor of Mario Mendoza, a
weak-hitting infielder who was always flirting with the
(unimpressive) .200 threshold.) Beyond the negative implications of
weights, distances, and batting averages in the buck-plus-a-little
range, there's the quite positive implication of ERAs (earned run
averages) as a measure of pitchers' efficacy. The lower the ERA the
better, so in this excerpt from a blog on the Milwaukee Brewers last
March (spring training)--

It doesn't mean he won't get hit once the team moves up north, but it
also doesn't mean he's going to go through the season with an ERA of
11. It's also probably a good bet that Parra won't go through the
season with an ERA of a buck and a half.

--alludes to to the unlikelihood that *any* pitcher (much less the
non-eminent Manny Parra) could end up with an earned run average in
the 1.50 range.  (Well, sometimes relievers with relatively few
innings might manage it...)  I suspect the pitchers' buck fifties are
much more recent than the hitters' buck fifties.

LH