Goofus - an idiot (antedating - used by Arthur Baer 1916)

Thu Oct 28 17:46:08 UTC 2010

Ben Zimmer's interesting comment about "Goofus and Gallant" lead me to
search for early instances of Goofus.

HDAS has goofus n. a fool; idiot with a first cite in 1917.

OED (DRAFT ENTRY June 2010) has goofus  A. n.1 A foolish or stupid
person. Cf. DOOFUS n. with a first cite in 1917.

OED also has goofus as an adjective  B. adj. Stupid, foolish. Cf.
DOOFUS adj. with a first cite in 1981.

Here are three cites in 1916 from a syndicated humor column titled
"Facts Not Worth Knowing" written by Arthur "Bugs" Baer. A character
named Goofus is by implication an idiot in the first two cites. In the
third cite the use of Goofus is evolving toward that of an adjective.
Arthur "Bugs" Baer also uses the term Goofus to label some individuals
when he is replying to queries, and to label a roadway. Baer may have
helped popularize the term Goofus, but his usage does not follow a
rigid pattern.

Cite: 1916 June 14, Rockford Republic, Facts Not Worth Knowing by
Arthur Baer, Page 6, Column 5, Rockford, Illinois. (GenealogyBank)

A curved razor is the idea of Daniel Goofus, making it easier for the
shaver's wife to open a can of tomatoes.

Cite: 1916 June 23, Rockford Republic, Facts Not Worth Knowing, Page
6, Column 5, Illinois. (GenealogyBank)

After a lifetime of experimenting, Prof. Goofus the learned zypologist
is convinced that the air is the same temperature on both sides of a
picket fence.

Cite: 1916 August 31, Salt Lake Telegram, Facts Not Worth Knowing by
Arthur Baer, Page 6, Column 3, Salt Lake, Utah. (GenealogyBank)

By draining off the water of Lake Goofus, the management of Goofus
house has enabled its guests to remain perfectly dry while swimming.

Garson