Fwd: Re: The things you learn on NPR

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 1 19:44:40 UTC 2010

>Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:36:28 -0400
>To: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
>Subject: Re: The things you learn on NPR
>
>At 3:16 PM -0400 9/1/10, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Bill Palmer
>><w_a_palmer at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>>  To appropriate a phrase from Wilson, "Youneverknow"
>>
>>Thank, you, Bill! But, to give credit where credit is due, the credit
>>for introducing this to our pages is due to Larry.
>
>Well, ultimately, to one time St. Louis
>Cardinals pitcher Joaquin Andjar (the non-native
>speaker Wilson alludes to below).
>
>LH

Oops.  That was going to be "Joaquin Andújar" (if
the accent comes out) or "Joaquin Andujar" (if it
doesn't), not Andjar.  Besides the immortal
reference to "youneverknow" as his favorite word
in the English language, the Dominican-born
pitcher was almost equally eloquent on a number
of other occasions...

"How can I play baseball if I'm stupid? If I was
stupid I wouldn't have pitched in the World
Series. I'd be playing ball in Mexico or
Yugoslavia or on Pluto."
Source: Baseball Quotations Dictionary (David H. Nathan, 2000)

"It wasn't my arm (that was injured). It was my forearm."
Source: AP Wire (1988)

"You can't worry if it's cold; you can't worry if
it's hot; you only worry if you get sick. Because
then if you don't get well, you die."
Source: Baseball's Greatest Quotations (Paul Dickson, 1992)

and of course

"There is one word in America that says it all,
and that one word is, 'Youneverknow.'"
Source: Sports Illustrated (June 22, 1987)

[ http://www.baseball-almanac.com/quotes/quoandj.shtml ]