shagging & fucking

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 3 13:48:15 UTC 2010

At 9/2/2010 09:54 PM, Ronald Butters wrote:
>I'm condfused about this. Does this mean that the speaker
>occasionally did men as well as women?

Absolutely, as I see George has already responded.  (I did not get
his message via the list -- censored by something?).    See Rictor
Norton's _Mother Clap's Molly House_.

As George wrote:
>The letter is dated February, 1772, from Richard Cosway, a painter,
>to Charles Townley, his patron,( and, it seems, his intimate friend,) ...

Norton discusses instances of male patrons and their male "intimates"
in the 1700s England.  Some of their letters are similar -- but often
literary and indirect; George's is surely the most blunt and explicit
I've seen.  As I wrote Jesse privately, I am bequeathing my place in
the gutter of the 18th century to George.

Joel