plug-in

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 4 17:12:39 UTC 2010

  A part of the problem is that the statement seems to imply that one
plugs the computer into the adapter. This appears to defy normal
interpretation. But it also suggests another physical ambiguity.

Most laptops--Dell excepted--have a two-part connection to AC. There is
a "brick"--the transformer--with a "rat-tale" and a separate cable that
connects to the wall. The rat-tale plugs into a jack on the laptop and
the wall cable plugs into the brick /and/ into the wall. AFAICT, the
usual interpretation is asymmetric--you only plug X-object's "plug" into
a jack or socket (AKA "receptacle"). But, perhaps, there is also a
symmetric reading where "X plugs into Y" is equivalent to "Y plugs into
X", irrespectively of which one has a "plug". There are obvious limits
to this interpretation because, AFAIK, we never plug a wall into a TV,
but, perhaps, that's an outcome of the semantics of "wall", not of
"plug-in".

The physical interpretation of such connections--supported by the
"male/female" metaphor on the "plugs"--suggests asymmetry, but, perhaps,
it's not universal. "Connection" would have been a better choice than
"plug-in".

     VS-)

PS: There is also the "burn hazard" in the original. The implication
would be that the situation creates a risk of a [skin] burn on contact
with the hot connection. But the accompanying text and photo show a
notebook catching on fire. So, did they mean "fire hazard"? Again, this
suggests a translation issue, which is odd because the recall notice is
issued by the US subsidiary.