plug-in

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Sep 4 14:38:38 UTC 2010

At 9/3/2010 06:49 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>  We just bought a Toshiba laptop his week, so when I saw an article on
>Toshiba laptop recall, I dug right in. The recall is for a different set
>of models (Satellite T135, Satellite T135D and Satellite ProT130, if
>you've got one of those), but there was an interesting phrasing in the
>article:
>
>http://bit.ly/a8gU9x
>>The notebook computers can overheat at the notebook's plug-in to the
>>AC adapter, posing a burn hazard to consumers.
>
>The phrasing apparently comes from the Toshiba recall notice.
>
>I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to imagine what a "notebook's plug-in
>to the AC adapter" would look like. Closest I can get is that they are
>talking about the jack for the AC adapter connection. Not sure if
>someone just goofed a Japanese-to-English translation or if this is
>actually some sort of tech talk at Toshiba marketing. If you think you
>know what they meant, please feel free to explain.

"at the notebook's plug into the AC adapter"?  [Not the best English
for "when the notebook is plugged into the AC adapter".]

"at the notebook's plug that connects to the AC adapter"?

The second meaning seems more likely -- the connection between plug
and adapter may overheat, perhaps due to too much resistance in the connection.

Joel