shit! (coarse exclamation of annoyance or disgust)

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Sep 5 17:57:59 UTC 2010

... although "shite" and "shit", while closely related, aren't strictly
commutative.  (As is also the case with the distinction between "ass" and
"arse" -- thus, UK "a rat's arse," but no corresponding USA locution, "a
rat's ass", if I have this right.)

The OED under GOBSHITE n -- Sense 2: " A stupid, incompetent, or gullible
person" -- gives only the spellings: "19- gobshite, 19- gobshyte", thus no
gobshits.

The extended derogatory sense of "shit/shite" (as in "an utter shit" -- a
singularly worthless person) may (I stress, "may"), via "gobshite", extend
as far back as the mid-sixteenth century.

Thomas Harman, in _A Caveat for Common Cursitors_, records a remark in cant
made by a Rogue to an Upright Man: "Gerry gan!  The ruffian cly thee!",
englished by Harman as, "A turd in thy mouth!  the devil take thee!"

This is picked up by the character Wasp in Ben Jonson's _Bartholomew Fair_,
where in its englished form, it becomes his repeated catchphrase, "turd i'
your teeth."

(For further uses in English drama, see Robert William Dent, _Proverbial
language in English drama exclusive of Shakespeare_, 1495-1616: (1984),
"T607:  A TURD in his (your) teeth":

        http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oYDMndXNWlUC&pg=PA702&dq=turd+teeth&hl=en&ei=_s6DTKC9KI_HswbgoLDmCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=turd%20teeth&f=false
  )

Perhaps in the course of time, a turd (gerry) in the teeth, or shit in the
mouth (gan) evolves into the more familiar "gobshite".

To which one is tempted to respond, in tones of incredulity, "No shit!"

Robin