shit! (coarse exclamation of annoyance or disgust)

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Sep 5 19:38:15 UTC 2010

From: "Paul Frank" <paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU>

> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Robin Hamilton
> <robin.hamilton3 at virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> ... although "shite" and "shit", while closely related, aren't strictly
>> commutative. Â (As is also the case with the distinction between "ass"
>> and
>> "arse" -- thus, UK "a rat's arse," but no corresponding USA locution, "a
>> rat's ass", if I have this right.)
>
> If I'd had to guess, I would have said that "a rat's arse" came from
> "a rat's ass." "I don't give a rat's ass" is certainly extremely
> common in American English.
>
> Paul

Called that one wrong, didn't I?  I'll see if I can come up with some better
examples of the non-commutative aspect of shit/shite.  Other than the
obvious, that "ass" is characteristically USAmerican and "arse" UK.

As to rats and their arses, or asses, there's the term coined by or used by
the comedian Tony Hancock, "ratbag", which in turn may be a minced from of
"scumbag."

Further than that, deponent stateth not.

Robin