TIME quoting Putin

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 9 21:28:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:

> a small juncture separating "up" and "side."

Noticing this caused a friend of mine to claim that the phrase was actually

"up _be_side"

Pretty nervy on his part, I thought. According to what he had told me
about his personal history, it was not for nothing that his family
bore the surname, "LeSourd"!

Amongst the colored, _go_ is preferred over _beat_ and NP('s) to _the_, e.g.

"And then John go(es) upside Bill('s) head [with a two-by-four]."

Quelle coincidence!

As I'm writing this, on The Judges, a forty-ish white woman is
describing an attack by her daughter's batterer ex-boyfriend:

"After I had turned my back on him, he jumped me from behind, knocking
me down, so that I fell face-first  into the asphalt and then onto my
hands and knees. Then he straddled my back and began to _beat me
upside the head_ with his fists."

--
-Wilson
–––