Chomskian linguistics and human uniqueness

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Fri Sep 10 04:54:32 UTC 2010

From: <ronbutters at AOL.COM>

> Generally, science involves worrying about truth rather than being
> offended by the arrogance of the or unsubstantiated suspicions about the
> motives of the scientist.

I'm with Joel in being skeptical as to Chomsky's vision of humanity
hard-wired for language, but more to the point, I've always failed to see
how it's *relevant to Generative Grammar.  Whether or not the hypothesis is
"scientific", it's beside the point.  It does, however, link in with
Chomsky's universalist view of linguistic processes, which strikes me as
savouring more of Platonic idealism than scientific empiricism.

More to the point, I'm not sure that Chomsky's work allows any serious grip
on semantics, and in this it could be seen to diverge radically from de
Saussure to the extent that it heads in the opposite direction.

Halliday, on the other hand ...

Wilson, what did you think of Halliday?  That you kept the souvenir booklet
suggests you were impressed.

Enquiring minds want to know ...

Robin