TIME quoting Putin

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 12 00:37:53 UTC 2010

  Google Translate got it right IMO: "beat with the cudgel on the head".
Or something like, "club on the noggin", but that mentions the weapon
only indirectly (of course, "club" could be either a verb or a noun here).

It is most certainly NOT truncheon literally, although that appears to
be what was implied with the comment, as the referent was what London
police would do with protesters showing up in a place other than the one
they got a permit for.

There is a subtle difference between "dubina" and "dubinka". The latter
means billy club or truncheon. The former is just a wooden club or
cudgel. It's also like the difference between a night stick and a
baseball bat. And, if we are taking the comments literally, "on" is more
appropriate than "over" or "upside".

Finally, the issue of "head". Indeed, the expression used by Putin was
"b'iut dubinoi po bashke". "Bashka" is the more colloquial, perhaps even
vulgar, expression for "head". Russian folk etymology ascribes it to
Turkic origins--likely accurate, as Turkish for head is "baş" (although
"başka" means something entirely different).

VS-)