TIME quoting Putin

imwitty imwitty at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 12 05:02:49 UTC 2010

I like better the combination "beat with the billy club (or night stick) on
the noggin"...

The difference between "dubina" and "dubinka" is not so subtle as it seems:
former is much bigger than latter and besides the former was used not just
as a primitive weapon, but also as a tool (lever, etc.) "Dubina" has also
second (and very popular since old times and until today) meaning: it's a
(very often used) definition of the extremely dull/stupid person.

Putin definitely means "dubinka" (since their OMON units
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMON do use "dubinka" similar to the billy club
(see http://www.vokrugsveta.ru/telegraph/technics/551/ for the history of
this "democratizator" worldwide and in Russia.)

The word "bashka" *NEVER* was considered vulgar, just a common parlance,
even in the old times. Probably, it wasn't used very often by the old
Russian aristocracy at the high level receptions, but otherwise...

It does have Turkic origins ("bash" in Tatar means "head"; "bashka" means in
Tatar "other" or "another", according to the famous Vladimir Dal's
dictionary, but in the old Russian sayings they are used sometimes as
equivalent terms (i.e. in the idiom "bash na bash" -- "an equivalent
exchange".) Besides -- as any other language I know, including English --
Russian "assimilates" foreign words creatively, transforming them to be more
"fit": Russian suffix -k- is one of the often used for different purposes.

Lora
Please reply to imwitty at gmail.com
This e-mail is a natural product.  The slight
variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.