better with each passing day (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 14 20:20:57 UTC 2010

While I agree, Victor, with the drift of your comments about the short
memories of the American people, in putrid cinema as in other things, I
submit that if one can derive *any kind of enjoyment whatsoever* from a
film, it is not one of the very worst.

Films that are so bad they make you laugh are not among the very worst
because laughter is a form of enjoyment. So, bad as _Plan 9_ is, it isn't
among the very worst.

Godawful films that are watchable solely because they are somehow of their
place and time don't make the cut either. Like _Earth vs. the Flying
Saucers_.  Watchability for any reason is a form of enjoyment.

The litmus test of a truly bad film is that you cannot stay awake and do not
wish to. Part of the test is what's visible on screen.  In a truly bad
movie, there's just nothing to look at or look forward to, not even a
half-naked starlet, a distant mountain peak, or a goofy monster.

Bob Dornan's _The Starfighters_ is almost one of the very worst, but the
stock footage of '50s jet fighters saves it by an eyelash.  (It comes so
close.)
Try _The Wild, Wild World of Bat Woman_. It's even in black and white and
shot almost entirely indoors!

JL