of cat-heads and catenaries

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 17 01:56:45 UTC 2010

My apologies is I left the impression that "cat-o'nine-tails" was
derived from German--indeed there is no such suggestion. The reference
was to the derivation of the cathead beam, as the paragraph Mark
quotes--I thought, clearly--implies.

Here's the relevant portion of the Wiki article on "cathead"

> A second "cat head" was associated with a ship's anchor-cable and windlass. This was a square pin thrust into one of the handspike holes of a ship's windlass. When at anchor, the anchor rope (called a cable) was secured to this with a smaller rope tie called a seizing. The English term for this pin was 'norman'. In German, however, it was called a Kattenkopf (cat-head), and in this case it is a reference to the traditional way the top was notched and chamfered off so that in cross section, it resembled the ears of a cat.

I had seen the same explanation with one of the random books that I
came across, but failed to note it, at the time, and, with thousands
of hits for "cathead", was not about to go back and search again.

And, yes, in modern German, it would certainly be Katzenkopf. Take the
Wiki for what it is.

VS-)