Dialect Notes 1903: Word-List from East Alabama

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 20 12:32:16 UTC 2010

Snipe (or is it "snipes"?) are common in Iceland.  They squeak during the
so-called "night" with a sound not distinguishable from a rusty hinge.

The "snipe hunt" is the only expanation I've ever encountered for "left
holding the bag."

JL