Dialect Notes 1903: Word-List from East Alabama

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Sep 20 14:41:05 UTC 2010

        "Snipe hunt" does not appear to be in the OED.  Is this not a
practical joke used in the UK?  I've never come across one in real life,
but references to them are common enough that I expect most Americans
have heard of them.  The earliest I see on Google Books is from 1893 in
the Pacific Medical Journal, a passing reference to "all the admirable
and trusting confidence and sang froid as well as that dogmatic
perseverance that characterizes the bag holder in the midnight snipe
hunt."  There are some other references to snipe hunts from this period,
suggesting that they first became popular in the 1890s.

        World Wide Words, at
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-lef1.htm, has a different
explanation for "left holding the bag":  "It actually dates back to the
middle of the eighteenth century in Britain. The original version was to
give somebody the bag to hold, meaning to keep somebody occupied or
distracted while you slipped away. Figuratively, it meant to leave
somebody in the lurch, to let them stay around to take the blame for
something that had gone wrong."

John Baker