JEEP again

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 05:22:04 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Baker, John <JMB at stradley.com> wrote:

> Thimble Theatre (as comics aficionados call it, though the strip at
> this time usually ran under the title used today, Popeye)

FWIW, "Thimble Theatre/Theater" (can't recall which spelling was used)
and "?by? (I seem to recall "by", but perhaps not) B. Zaboly," with
the _B_ drawn as a stylized honeybee, was being used in the Dallas
Morning News about the time that I was learning to read. That couldn't
have been much earlier than 1940. Bela "Bill" Zaboly took over the
strip in 1938, I think, though I was barely old enough to be able to,
at that date.
--
-Wilson
–––