JEEP again

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 14:14:55 UTC 2010

The earliest vehicle to be called a "jeep" appears to have been the 1937
Halliburton truck. It does not appear in HDAS because it was a one-off
usage. (Perhaps that decision was an error.) Dave Wilton's 1938 discovery of
"jeep wagon" applied to a tank is number two.

IIRC, the 1/2-ton "jeep" was designed and manufactured by Dodge.  It was
commonly used in armored units (cf. previous paragraph); in such cases the
1/4-ton "jeep" was sometimes referred to as a "peep" or, very rarely, a
"beep."

The Wehrmacht also had a versatile Volkswagen command car of a somewhat
similar appearance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_K%C3%BCbelwagen

I believe that American soldiers referred to these too as "jeeps" because of
their resemblance to the American army vehicles.

HDAS relies on MW10's dating of jeep's application to a vehicle to
"1940,"the year of the car's design. I do not know what the source of the
presumed 1940 citation might be.

JL