Q: Two "cabinnes" in the same "rowme" (1674)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Sep 30 14:06:43 UTC 2010

I have a sentence from 1674 that describes a male and female being
accused of too familiar activities, including "haveing their Cabinnes
together in the same rowme".

[Maine Records, 2:290.]

Assuming "rowme" is "room", I am puzzled by "Cabinne".  Nothing under
"cabin" in the OED seems to fit.  Surely not the cell of an
eremite.  "A small room, a bedroom, a boudoir"?  But the two cabinnes
were in the same room.  "A berth (in a ship)"?  But this was not a
ship but a house.  A "cabin-bed, a berth"?  Perhaps, but not a berth.

Any suggestions?

Joel