play pepper

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Apr 11 14:17:15 UTC 2011

Well, the OED3 has a definition -- but I wonder if it's ... um, a
little off base (too specific):
7. Baseball. A training exercise or warm-up in which a batter hits a
ball pitched at close range by one of a number of other players, one
of whom fields the ball and quickly pitches again to the batter.
Orig. and chiefly attrib., esp. in pepper game.

The earliest quotation is 1914, which refers to "the *old* pepper
game" (emphasis added).

Variation?  The fielders throw to a receiver standing next to the
hitter, who relays the ball to the batter, who tosses it up and hits it.

And if John Thorn's recently published (and reviewed in he NYT Book
Review) has a good index, we can check the definition and the date.

Joel