"a schlemiel of" meaning 'a lot of'

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Apr 15 14:55:28 UTC 2011

I've heard "schlemiel" used where I'd expect "shmear", as in "the whole ___"
meaning "the whole thing / the whole mess / everything / all of it". Made-up
example:

"And what a breakfast! Coffee, bagels, lox, cream cheese, onion, orange
juice, oatmeal, toast, jam, French toast and *real* maple syrup ... the
whole {shmear / schlemiel}!"

I'd guess this person heard such usages and inferred that "schlemiel" meant
something like "a large amount".

Mark Mandel